Friday, January 13, 2012

What to do with a degree in psychology?

Does the psychologists prefer to join laboral world as soon as possible? We’ll take a little ride for three specific factors to understand the reality of current Psychology formation and what getting an academic degree means:


Skills I Gained
Psychologist have the skills one can expect of humanist formation: critical thinking and essay writing. But, the currents psychologist go depeer than the classic Social Studies. Now they’re trained to work with stadistics to aply in investigations as quantitative as qualitative data.
Careers I can Persue
There are different areas of psychology: occupational, educational, clinical, forensic or sports. And also can work at scientific reasearch, which involves different possibilities like academic or market research. But a reduced number of current psychologist work in just one of them becauce in laboral world the competivity is rising daily. So, the psychologists are able to asume different roles (they were prepared to be flexible) to confront this situation.
Why study a Postgrade?
There are many reasons to get a Psotgrade: Maybe you want to improve your status as psychoterapist, polish up a specific skill related with your speciality or maybe you want to validate this career like a complement for another career (like pedagogy or marketing).

You can check the long version article at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/feb/13/degree-in-pyschology-job-options?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

7 comments:

  1. It´s a interesting article, I think that a postgrade is very important to the professional formation

    ReplyDelete
  2. It`s true that we can work in several areas but i think that i so important to specialize in a topic or area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that having a postgrade just for having it is not a big deal, I think that today so much people try to have a postgrade just for their CV and not for the knowledge you can learn having one.

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's 'postgraduate course' ;)

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the posibility to work in different areas. Interesting article.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's important to specialize in your 'favorite area'... but sometimes is not a good thing...
    Interesting topic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know if I can survive until I finish pregrade, so I don't know if I'll take a postgraduate course, but if I can do it, why not?

    ReplyDelete